REAL ESTATE PROPERTY TAXES
2015 Delinquent Taxes as of 04/06/16 ~ 2014 Delinquent Taxes as of 04/29/15
2013 Delinquent Taxes as of 04/02/14 ~ 2012 Delinquent Taxes as of 04/10/13
2011 Delinquent Taxes as of 04/11/12 ~ 2010 Delinquent Taxes as of 04/06/11
As any municipality, the taxes collected from property owners are integral revenue the town needs to operate. The tax rate for the fiscal year is subject to change annually as determined by the Town Council during budget preparation in the spring of each year. The town does not assess value to property, as we rely on the Wilkes County Tax Department to determine this value and forward our billing information.
The tax rate for our town is $0.48 cents per $100 valuation of property.
TAX PAYMENT METHODS:
- Online payment (Accepts checking account routing numbers, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, & Amex. User fees will be applied.)
- Payment counter inside Town Hall (Accepts checks, money order and cash only. We DO NOT accept debit or credit cards at Town Hall for tax payments ~ online only.)
- Drive-thru Window
- Secure Night Payment Drop Box (beside drive-thru window) - available 24/7
- Mailing Address: Town of Wilkesboro Tax Dept., PO Box 1056, Wilkesboro, NC 28697
TAX OFFICE LOCATION AND HOURS:
Wilkesboro Town Hall, 203 West Main Street, Wilkesboro
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
PAYMENTS AT TOWN HALL:
- Payments CANNOT be taken over the telephone.
- Cash ~ please do not send cash through the mail, only use cash when paying personally.
- Check ~ please write parcel number on check & correspondence.
- Money Order ~ please write parcel number on money order & correspondence.
IMPORTANT DATES - INTEREST & PENALTIES:
- Date tax bills are mailed to customers - each summer, generally by the middle of August of each year.
- Due date - September 1st of each year.
- Penalties and interest of 2% are imposed on amounts unpaid as of January 5th of the following year.
- Interest of ¾% is added on any outstanding balance the first day of each month until the balance is paid in full.
- Annually each year, generally in the spring, any account that is delinquent is advertised in the local newspaper.
- A list of advertised property is located on the Town Hall bulletin board.
- All property in the Town of Wilkesboro is also in the County of Wilkes and taxpayer will receive a tax bill from both agencies. Be careful not to overlook either.
- Your tax bill will clearly state which agency is taxing your property.
- Real Property - Both agencies.
- Personal Property, Equipment, & Untagged Vehicles - Both agencies
- TAGGED VEHICLE TAXES - Wilkes County Tax Dept. or NC DMV with license plate renewal notice.
SELLING YOUR PROPERTY / CHANGE OF ADDRESS:
- If you have an address change, please change as early as possible at the Wilkes County Tax Office.
- If you receive a tax bill on property you have sold, please forward it to the new owner OR return it to the tax department with contact information of the new owner as soon as possible.
The owner of any account past due can be collected upon by any legal means, including but not limited to wage garnishment, bank attachment, debt setoff or foreclosure.
SPECIAL PROGRAMS FOR SENIORS / DISABLED PERSONS:
The property owner should go to Wilkes County Tax Office and inquire about special programs, qualifications, and forms.