WEEKLY CURBSIDE TRASH COLLECTION
Regular curbside trash collection is on Monday, Thursday and Friday of each week.
1. Rollout trash cart shall be used for the disposal of residential and approved commercial garbage only. No yard waste.
2. Each residential regular customer or approved commercial customer will be provided 1 rollout cart by the town. Effective 07/01/10, the first rollout cart will cost all residential and businesses $8.00 per month and this fee is billed on your utility bill.
3. Each additional rollout cart (after the first cart) requires a deposit and has an additional monthly fee. Normal refuse collection service will consist of 1 collection per week of refuse and placed in 1 or more roll-out carts or other approved containers.
- The deposit is $50.00 per cart for both residential and businesses.
- Each additional residential cart cost $8.00 per month
- Each additional business cart cost $15.00 per month
4. Where curbside collection is available and on the day designated for collection, containers shall be placed at the street within 10 feet of the curb line.
- Rollout carts will be collected from the curbside provided they are easily accessible to collection personnel without having to unlock or open a door, unlock a gate or similar obstacle, or encounter a vicious animal.
- Town collection personnel shall not provide service if required to ascend or descend multiple steps to obtain access to rollout containers, or if denied reasonable access by parked vehicles, equipment or other objects.
- Additionally, the Town waives liability for any property damage incurred during the collection of improperly placed rollout carts.
5. Garbage placed in rollout carts shall be wrapped, bagged or enclosed in paper or plastic material.
- Any liquid waste, such as grease, shall be sealed in its own separate container before being placed in the rollout container.
- Failure to comply with this rule may result in the customer being charged for the cleaning and/or replacement of their rollout cart.
6. Customers using the rollout cart may not fill the cart in a manner that the cart lid will not close tightly over the cart body or so full (over 200 pounds) that the mechanical lifters mounted on refuse packers or sanitation workers cannot lift the cart.
- Spilled materials or overflow caused by the property owner or occupant shall be cleaned up immediately after spillage or overflow occurs by the owner or occupant.
- If the customer cannot comply with this requirement another rollout cart will be provided for them.
- Charges for the additional cart, including deposit and monthly fee, will be assessed at the rate currently in use at the time the cart is provided.
7. Rollout carts used in the residential garbage collection program are property of the town and the town provides general maintenance for them at no cost to the resident.
- A replacement fee will be charged for rollout carts that are damaged, defaced or removed from the premises. The fee will be assessed at 3 times the deposit cost for the cart.
8. All potentially dangerous trash items and all waste material of a hazardous nature, such as broken glass, light bulbs, and sharp pieces of metal, shall be securely wrapped to prevent injury to the collection crews.
- It is illegal to place florescent tubes in the landfill, therefore, refuse on the Banned Items List WILL NOT be picked up the Public Works.
- Items on the Unapproved Electronics List WILL NOT be picked up the Public Works.
- Items on the Approved Electronics List is considered Bulky Items Collection and is by appointment only or dropped off at Public Works.
9. Rollout carts and other containers for refuse shall be removed from the street or alley by 7:00 p.m. on the day of collection.
- The Town of Wilkesboro reserves the right to charge a fee for noncompliance with this requirement.
10. If an elderly, disabled person, or person at a topographic site should need assistance with trash cans, arrangements can be made with Public Works and to qualify for exemption: requires every member of household are disabled as verified by physician.
11. It shall be unlawful for any unauthorized person to scavenge, sort, pick through or remove refuse, trash, yard wastes or recyclables stored or set out for collection, or for any person other than the Town or its contractors to collect recyclables in the town.
- requires a physician's note.
- mutually agreed upon location for rollout cart(s) by Public Works and resident.
- Topographic site exemptions are made on a case by case basis at the discretion of Public Works Director and may be changed or amended at any time.
12. It shall be unlawful for any person to burn or set fire to garbage for the purpose of disposal.
13. No person may cause, suffer, or permit refuse to accumulate or remain on premises under their control.
14. The Town does not offer dumpsters. Please contact an independent solid waste management company for a dumpster.
15. Any apartment, group of apartments, condominium, mobile home park, or any structure containing 12 or more dwelling units shall provide 1 or more bulk containers for purpose of refuse collection. The town will not provide rollout curbside service to these units.
16. Approximately 1/2 cubic yard of storage capacity shall be provided for each dwelling unit.