YARD WASTE COLLECTION
- Yard waste collection is for single-family and residential units only.
- Yard Waste is defined as: grass, twigs, plant trimmings, hay, pine straw, pinecones, weeds, leaves, tree trimmings, shrubbery pruning, and other similar materials which are generated in the maintenance of yards and gardens, and which are separated from other solid waste materials.
- Yard waste collection shall be limited to 1/2 truck per resident per week.
- Please rake or place all items at the curb for collection. Do not block roads, ditches or any stormwater areas.
- Do not place leaves in bags.
- Town large rollout recycling carts should not be used for yard waste.
- Containers used for yard waste shall have all lids removed and shall not exceed 32 gallons in size and shall have handles.
- Make sure the leaf piles are free of rocks, bottles, cans, limbs, sticks, any metal or sold substances so it does not damage our equipment or hurt the crew. Leaves will not be picked up until leaves are separated from other debris.
- Tree limbs and tree trunks must be cut in lengths not to exceed 6 feet in length and not over 4 inches in diameter.
- Tree limbs must have the larger ends facing the same direction, neatly piled, and parallel to the curb.
- Commercial tree trimmers, lawn care care services, contractors, builders, etc. shall dispose of their own limbs, trees, leaves, shrubbery, underbrush, building materials & refuse before leaving their job sites. If not removed, the removal is the property owners responsibility to dispose of at the Wilkes County Landfill.
- It is considered excessive if collection requires more than 1 hour of chipper time or more than 1 truck load. Extra loads or extra chipping will be at a rate of $35 per hour and will be invoiced by Public Works Department.
- Nonresidential, illegal dumping, or burning of yard waste is not permitted.
- There may be occasions when the amount of yard waste or leaf collection exceeds processing capacity. When this occurs, the waste will be collected at the earliest convenience or next scheduled collection day, whichever is sooner according to manpower and equipment.
- The solid waste division may decline to collect any yard waste that is not prepared or placed for collection in accordance with these regulations or exceeds the maximum amount. Damage to equipment due to improper preparation of material will result in a fine being applied to the customer's account.